The best advice I ever got when it comes to snacking is this- pick snacks that have protein and healthy fats. It’s a terrible feeling when you eat an ’empty snack’- like plain pretzels- and feel hungry a little while later. Since my exercise level has changed while pregnant, my diet hasn’t really changed too much, the only exception being that I consume more carbs. When I’m snacking, I try to stick to that rule and make sure all my snacks are protein-heavy.
Here are my current favorite high-protein snacks and recipes:
- Chomps (Turkey Sticks)
- Justin’s Almond Butter Packs- with celery, Eziekiel bread, or banana
- Mama Bars
- Hardboiled Eggs (with a piece of fruit or sliced avocado with a piece of Eziekiel bread)
- Smoothie with hemp seeds and Needed Powder for an added protein boost (This protein is my absolute favorite as it is virtually tasteless.)
- Salmon Pouch with Avocado
- Bone Broth with avocado…I love Brodo, but my absolute favorite is from a local place- Nit Noi
High Protein Snack Recipes
- Double Chocolate Lentil Muffins
- Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bars– I use Zego Oats for an even bigger boost of protein
- Banana Chocolate Chip Lentil Muffins– I sub maple syrup for sugar and Enjoy Life Chips for chocolate chips. Also, I add wilted spinach.
*All of these keep well in the freezer. So, bake ahead and enjoy for weeks to come.